In writing an article on gestational diabetes for our new website that will go live this coming week, I was discussing risk factors and up pops obesity……again. It seems that almost without fail, no matter what the health issue, obesity either helps cause it or exacerbates the problem.
- Obesity is a major contributing factor in type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes.
- Obesity is a major contributing factor in heart disease.
- Obesity is a major contributing factor in strokes.
- Obesity is a contributing factor in several kinds of cancer such as colon, breast, uterine, kidney and esophagus. Some studies also show a link to gallbladder, ovarian and pancreatic cancer.
- Obesity is a major factor in high blood pressure, hypertension.
- Obesity is a major factor in dyslipidemia, elevated cholesterol and triglyicerides.
- Obesity is a major factor in sleep apnea.
Are you starting to understand why I have been following weight loss reality shows in an effort to get the word out? Are you getting a sense that this is a passionate issue for me? Every one of those 7 is a major health issue. Every one of those 7 can shorten or end your life, leaving a family without a husband or wife, mom or dad. Every one of those 7 can make it harder, if not impossible, to get life insurance to protect your family.
Bottom line.Â Obesity isn’t the warning siren before the tornado. It is the tornado. The collateral damage it can cause is unfathomable if left unchecked. Reality shows like Biggest Loser aren’t about losing weight to lose money, but rather showing that losing weight and taking control of your life and future is possible. You don’t have to have a state of the art gym and a trainer, you just need to decide that the list above is worth avoiding.