HIV Life Insurance
HIV Life Insurance
In the past, people living with HIV have found it extremely difficult to find affordable life insurance. While it hasn’t been quick coming, with a few companies, well controlled HIV is viewed on a similar level to other chronic diseases by life insurance companies. At The Hinerman Group, our experts have many years of experience helping individuals with HIV find the coverage they need.
Application Process for HIV Life Insurance
During the initial application process, should ask several questions about your general health and HIV medical history. Some of the most commonly asked questions include the following:
- Date of initial diagnosis
- CD4 count and viral load
- Current medications and dosage
- What other health conditions you have
During the application process, insurers will also ask for at least 5 years records that include office notes and lab results from your infectious disease doctor. These statements help them to further assess your application and ultimately determine your insurance rates.
Life Insurance Options for HIV
If you are able to qualify for traditional life insurance based on your well controlled HIV diagnosis, there are several other options to consider.
- Term Life Insurance: Although this type of insurance is priced lower than other types, not all insurance companies will offer longer terms like 20 or 30 years. Hinerman Group has been working in the area for 15+ years and can guide you to the right company and product.
- Guaranteed Issue Life Insurance: Insurance companies do not consider an applicant’s health history in this underwriting process, so virtually anyone from 18-70 who is working 20 hours or more per week can get up to $100,000….guaranteed.
- Permanent Life Insurance: This can either be whole life of universal life. Some of the companies that don’t offer longer terms will approve policies with permanent coverage.
Find Affordable HIV Life Insurance
The Hinerman Group has been very successful in finding affordable rates for individuals with HIV. Reach out and let us help you find the best life insurance policy to fit your needs.
The underwriting guidelines look like this:
Self disclosed diagnosis and over age 20
Compliant with antiretroviral therapy (ART) for at least two consecutive years
Followed by an HIV or infectious disease specialist minimally every six months
Undetectable viral load since starting ART, minimally 2 years
CD4 of 500 or more for the past two years and never below 350
Current negative Hep B&C testing and no history of hepatitis
No viral resistance to treatment
No history of IV drug use or other substance abuse
No history of other ratable health issues such as CAD, diabetes, cancer or protein in the urine
No significant psychiatric history
Not underweight or losing weight, normal protein levels
No AIDS defining illness
No smokers (Mortality of HIV+ patients is significantly increased by smoking)
After reviewing the guidelines to the left, call Ed at 866-539-7914, or complete the info request form below to receive a quote or additional information.
More Questions? Check Out Our Blog!
The Hinerman Group knows that every situation is unique and it can be difficult finding the best answers. Be sure to check out our blog where you will find a comprehensive bank of topics covered regarding Life Insurance. The background covered in The Hinerman Group blog will point you in the right direction and help you get your family the coverage you need.
Want to talk? Call Ed directly at (719) 539-7914 for a FREE CONSULTATION. *Ed released the fish and it went on to have a full life.